Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Dove Soap and Parenting Skills

I am just about to use up a bar of Dove soap I have at my tub. I smile as I use it and think of the reason I have it. My mother gave it to me a few weeks ago as a form of apology. I had made a joke about her and her Dove soap. The joke was not a joke to her!
You see, when I was younger my parents were rather poor. Evidently Dove soap was on the expensive side and my Dad bought some for my mom. No one was allowed to use it except my mom.
As I joked about it now (40 some years later) my mom was horrified that they had ever made such a rule and does not recall having done that.
I reassured her that it was not a bad thing at all. The way I see it, it was a very simple way of teaching us to honor her. My dad bought her something special and we were to honor her by not using it! She always had us honor my Dad at the table by having us reserve the biggest piece of anything...for him.
They have been married for 67 years and they still honor one another. My Dad has alzheimers and very bad knees, but he still holds the car door open for my Mom. My mom still gives him the biggest piece of whatever at the table. They still celebrate their first kiss, their first date.
"Honor your Father and Mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the LORD your God will give you."
That is one of the ten commandments! It must be pretty important to God that we honor our parents! I am sure glad my parents found simple ways to teach us to honor them!

9 comments:

jonathandy said...

So you guys were neglected of Dove soap, huh? Is that the reason behind us never having food on the table or anything more than the garage floor to sleep on?

Scott Williams said...

SWEET!, I love those type of stories of our parents and how they have taught us.

Scott Williams said...

You had a garage JC? Man, were you lucky!

Joyce Collins said...

Wow! I went out to water my poor plants that don't know what to do with this 90 degree weather in October and I come back in to find #3 responses!!!!!!! Um, Jonathan, I think the accident has made you forget things...your friends always called you a spoiled brat. If not that...then you did not get this message about honoring your MOTHER!!!!!!!!

Samuel said...

My only comment - Jonathan's use of the word "neglected" may not be grammatically correct. I would suggest "deprived of" or "devoid of".

Joyce Collins said...

When Jonathan starts writing his books you will be a good friend to have around!!!!

Anonymous said...

really don't know how to comment on all the comments.......but JC i do believe that the accident really did something.....??????....
anyway, this story about your parents was beautiful, now everytime i see them, i'll think of this story and smile. Have a "DOVE" day everyone
ml

ToddMishWill said...

First to the point of Joyce's writings: I think another way that we can honor our parents is by sharing them with others. Joyce, you shared your parents with so many other people, even today. So many people have been reached for Christ and loved because of your parents. This has been passed down to you. Your children honor you by sharing you and your love with others. I am so thankful for the love and prayers from both your parents and from you.
Now to Jonathan: Don't give me the no food, garage floor...the baby of the family is always taken care of...just ask Alisha.

Joyce Collins said...

Michelle, you and your siblings have done a lot of sharing as well. How many kids (well, now grown ups) call your mom, "Mom"? MANY!