Monday, July 31, 2006

Habits

"Why do you call me,'Lord, Lord,' but do not do what I say? I will show you what everyone is like who comes to me and hears my words and obeys. That person is like a man building a house who dug deep and laid the foundation on rock. When the floods came, the water tried to wash the house away, but it could not shake it, because the house was built well. But the one who hears my words and does not obey is like a man who built his house on the ground without a foundation. When the floods came, the house quickly fell and was completely destroyed."

I like the story of the little boy who fell out of bed. When his Mom asked him what happened, he answered, "I don't know, I guess I stayed too close to where I got in." Easy to do the same with our faith. It's tempting just to stay where we got in and never move.
Growth is the goal of the Christian. Maturity is mandatory. If a child ceased to develop, the parent would be concerned, right? Doctors would be called. Tests would be run. When a child stops growing, something is wrong.
When a Christian stops growing, help is needed. If you are the same Christian you were a few months ago, be careful. You might be wise to get a checkup. Not on your body, but on your heart. Not a physical, but a spiritual.
May I sugges one?
  • 1st, the habit of prayer: "Base you happiness on your hope in Christ. When trials come endure them patiently; steadfastly maintain the habit of prayer." (Romans 12:12, Phillips)
  • 2nd, the habit of study: "The man who looks into the perfect law and makes a habit of so doing, is not the man who sees and forgets. He puts that law into practice and he wins true happiness" (James 1:25, Phillips)
  • 3rd, the habit of giving: "Every Sunday each of you should put aside something from what you have earned during the week, and use it for this offering. The amount depends on how much the Lord has helped you earn." (I Corinthians 16:2, TLB)
  • And last of all, the habit of fellowship: "Let us not give up the habit of meeting together, as some are doing. Instead let us encourage one another."(Hebrews 10:25 TEV)

There they are...habits worth having. Isn't it good to know that some habits are good for you? Make them a part of your day and grow. Don't make the mistake of the little boy. Don't stay too close to where you got in. It's risky resting on the edge.

I got this from my NCV Bible and I would assume the devotion was written by Max Lucado. Two questions I take from his study are...Describe someone who, in your estimation, maintains a lifestyle of godly habits. What can you learn from that person? A year from now, what new habits would you like to have incorporated into your spiritual life?

No comments: