Sunday, August 27, 2006

Drawing Near



I am reading the book Drawing Near by John Bevere

One of the questions after the chapter I read a couple of days ago says, "In the beginning of this chapter, the author writes, 'Over this time I've discovered two major groups within the church...The first are those who seek God for what He can do; while the second seek Him for who He is.' Be honest-in which group do you see yourself?"

Hmm...not a question I think I have thought much about before!

Jonathan makes the statement..."You have as much God as you want"
I am "grappling" with these thoughts and am committing to thirsting more for Him.
Here is another statement in the book that , I guess you would say, is convicting me. I want to make sure I am pursuing Him all the way!
"Our souls desire what we feed them. If we have a steady diet of sports, we will crave ESPN. If we have a steady diet of movies and Hollywood gossip we will crave movie channels, magazines, and conversation that appeals to this appetite. If we constantly feed on the business world and current events, that is what we'll long for. If our satisfaction is in our homes, cars, clothes, and so forth, then we will light up with passion when we discuss shopping, or a new car, or decorating ideas, and we'll find spiritual conversations mundane. We'll have a hard time reading the Scriptures or tarrying in the prayer closet. However, if we feed on a steady diet of the Word of God, it is easy to set aside time for prayer, and conversations on spiritual things will come easily and flow naturally. We will crave the presence of God and desire intimacy with Him."

4 comments:

Scott Williams said...

I would like to say that I'm in the "who God is group", but I'm not consistently there. I often find myself asking what can God do and is He gonna do it.

Joyce Collins said...

I think my anwer would have been like yours a few days ago, Scott, but I have been surprised at myself the last few days to discover how often I am expecting Him to do something! But, I am excited about woeking on this and having a different report down the road of this great and glorious journey.

Lizzybeth said...

I need to borrow that book after you are done...it is the one Sandy told me to read in place of "Captivating"

Joyce Collins said...

Liz, it is not a book you want to borrow. You will want to own it! You will want to highlight, underline, go back and read portions of it. I paid 20 for it at the store but right now you can get it at CBD for $12.99!

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=61168&event=1010SBF|46414|1010