Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happy Jesusmas

After receiving several e-mails recommending I boycott certain stores who refuse to say "Merry Christmas", I have decided to use my blog to get on my soap box for a moment.
I am having a hard time understanding why we are so upset by that!
Happy Holidays include many more days than Christmas~an all inclusive statement!
Why would I not want to celebrate with the Jewish people who celebrate Hanukkah?!?
Though not a Biblical story, it is a celebration of a historical moment for the Israelites.
Our God came through for them in a mighty way! Celebrating that historical moment is celebrating our awesome God!
Happy Holidays! That includes Hanukkah.
Why would I not want to celebrate with our fellow African Americans as they celebrate Kwanzaa at this time of the year. What a great celebration embracing the culture they brought with them to us. The emphasis of community and unity certainly is not something I would be against.
Happy Holidays! That includes Kwanzaa.
Right around the corner we are getting ready to enter a New Year. What a joyful time for all of us! The New Year is always a time to look back on the old year and reflect on all that our Awesome God has done for us this past year. It is a time to commit to Him what we want to do for Him in the new year. How we want to grow more in love with Him and understand more about His deep Love for us.
Happy Holidays! That includes New Years
That some really do want to leave out "Merry Christmas" in the spirit of persecution, I have no doubt. But, I look at it this way~it opens the door for me to say something about my Jesus! When greeted with "Happy Holidays" I sometimes answer, "Thank-you, you too. I am celebrating Christmas during the holidays because Jesus is my best friend!"
Happy Holidays! That includes CHRISTmas.
So~Happy JESUSmas! :?)

No comments: