Monday, September 24, 2007

Monterry Log 1




the first thing I want to say here is that I am posting this on my blogspot(I will copy and paste it to the other blogs) All the instructions on here are in Spanish!!!!! How fun!
I don't know that I will do this every day while I am here, but I was out for a walk this morning for a little over an hour and a half and the day is getting hot, so my air-conditioned room feels wonderful!
Last night we had dinner with two of Gary's counterparts. One is an engineer who retired from his company in California some time back and is so good at what he does he gets pulled back into jobs...but only the ones he wants to take! He is originally from India. He is very professional, a very gentle man, and on the quiet side. The other man is one who is out at the construction site of the electrical towers. I could tell he is someone who is excellent at his job. To put it in his words, he is a "genuine good ole American Redneck!" He has a very loud voice and a lot of "soap boxes" on his agenda!
As you can imagine, the conversation was quite an interesting one! I came away with a deep admiration for my Gary. He is so good to make anyone comfortable. I believe both men came away "blessed" by Gary!
I was walking in the park this morning. The city has just finished up a week long celebration of their independence day. It was amazing to see the cleanup jobs going on today. All the fountains were turned off because they were being cleaned. The men were scrubbing all the ironworks in the fountains. The tiled floors on the outside of the buildings were being scrubbed by ladies with mops. The windows of the tall buildings were being scrubbed by men in swings. This appears to be a very clean city!
One thing that touched me today was the fact that in the park I found a woman sitting on a bench reading her Bible! Later, as I was walking through the shopping area I found a shoe shine man....reading his Bible!!!!!!!
Why did this excite me?!?! When we lived in Coban, Guatemala my dad would have his shoes shined in the city park. While he got his shoes shined he would read the Bible to the man. In due time this man came to know the Lord, and years later he was seen to be shining shoes....and reading the Bible to his clients!
Amazing, in less than an hour's time in two different parts of the area people were into the Word! Monterrey must be in good hands!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are having a great trip. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.